Tired of dealing with a dysfunctional kitchen? You know the type – the sink isn’t in the right spot, there’s no decent lighting, and you can’t open the fridge without first closing the dishwasher.
If the thought of actually cooking a meal in your dismal, dysfunctional kitchen sends you running to the nearest drive-through, it’s time to take action. It’s renovation time.
Planning a kitchen make-over is a major undertaking, so we’ve put together a list of the top 5 must-haves for your kitchen remodeling project:
- A Layout That Works: Before you start picking out back splash tiles and choosing your color scheme, take the time to really think about what works in your kitchen right now and what doesn’t. Do you need your kitchen to be comfortable for one cook, or should there be room for lots of folks to chop, bake and stir all at the same time?
- Great Lighting: When it comes to lighting in a kitchen, it’s always a good idea to install a wide variety of both under cabinet and ceiling-mounted lights. After all, you need to have plenty of bright, clear lights to be able to see what you’re slicing (and to spot the occasional hair that might have slipped into the food), while soft, low-power, under-mounted lights are perfect for lighting the way for late-night snack runs.
- High-Quality, Easy-Care Countertops: Kitchen counters take a beating, and they’re often the first part of a kitchen to show wear and tear. That’s why it’s important to choose high-quality, low-maintenance countertops that can resist stains, chipping and the occasional “I forgot to put the trivet under the hot pot” moment.
- Double Sinks: If you’re living with a single kitchen sink, then installing a double-sided sink will be a real game-changer. With a double sink, everything from washing veggies to doing the dishes is easier. That’s why double sinks have become the standard in today’s kitchen renovations. Have extra space? Consider stepping up to a second sink, especially if you have kids or a partner who likes to help out with the food prep.
- A Great Remodeling Company: Kitchen renovations are a major undertaking, even for experienced DIY’er. While most homeowners can tackle the basics like painting cabinet doors or changing a light fixture, remodeling a kitchen involves cabinetry, tile work, flooring, painting, plumbing, electricity and in some cases, gas lines.And because the kitchen is usually the busiest room in any home, it’s important to find a contractor who can get the job done both on time and on budget, otherwise, you might be eating an awful lot of fast food for a very, very long time.
Want to learn more about remodeling your tired, worn-out or dysfunctional kitchen? Call Irish Accents & Renovations today for ideas and advice on transforming your kitchen into a functional space, (757) 287-5612.